We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
1 Hour 20 Mins
Serves 8 (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
No chicken collection is complete without a potpie. Classic versions of this dish are notorious for using several pans—one to blanch the peas or boil potatoes, another to make the sauce, yet another to sauté the vegetables and cook the chicken. We streamline the process and use just one skillet for all so the sauce can pick up on all the rich flavors at once. You also avoid the fuss of crimping and filling a piecrust; the dough is simply a lid that tops the chicken mixture and bakes in the oven. Turnips and greens are another hearty, delicious twist.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 2.8 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup diagonally cut carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups coarsely chopped turnip greens or kale (about 3 oz.)
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-in. cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrust
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Calories 297
- Fat 11.9g
- Satfat 3.7g
- Monofat 2.9g
- Polyfat 0.7g
- Protein 20g
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Fiber 3g
- Cholesterol 49mg
- Iron 1mg
- Sodium 509mg
- Calcium 58mg
- Sugars 5g
- Est. added sugars 0g
How to Make It
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side. Place chicken on a cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Shred into large pieces.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine 2 1/2 cups stock and flour in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 6 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in turnip greens; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and flour mixture. Add turnips; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken and parsley. Remove pan from heat.
Arrange piecrust over pan, folding edges under as needed. Cut slits in dough to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg white. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.